at the Ridgway Library, behind the Town Hall in Ridgway
General overview of computer hardware:
- RAM (memory)
- Hard disk
- Optical drives, etc.
- Mouse vs. trackball; one-button vs. two-button
Understanding where your files are:
- Folder hierarchies
- Understanding the “Open/Save dialog box”
- General “getting around the system” tips, etc.
Overview of Internet-specific software programs:
Internet Browsers; usage & tips:
- Safari, Firefox, Camino, etc.
- Learning to “google”
- Tabbed browsing
- Internet safety/security
General email usage & tips:
- Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Entourage, etc.
- Quoting, forwards, etc.
- “To”, “CC” and “BCC” fields, and how to use them
Other possible topics, depending on time and student’s interests:
- Backing up your data
- Digital music, iTunes, and iPod/other digital music players
- How to shop for a new computer
- Other stuff as needed?
Top-notch source for real help books:
Excellent Mac-oriented electronic books:
[coupon code for 10% off of any of their e-books: CPN31208MUG]
Great overall site for reviews of both products and retailers: